Monday, October 8, 2007

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly

Jean-Dominique Bauby tells a sad but inspiring story. This story has really mad me think, his word choice and ways of describing his emotions, and thoughts. In the end I felt like the book punched me in the face. A favorite quote of mine form the near end of the book would be when he is telling about Mithra-Grandchamp:

“Frankly, I had forgotten Mitra-Grandchamp. The Memory of that event has only just come back to me, now doubly painful: regret for a vanished past and, above all, remorse for lost opportunities. Mithra-Grandchamp is the women we were unable to love, the chances we failed to seize, the moments of happiness we allowed to drift away.” (p.94)

This quote emphasizes my feelings. It describes everyone at some point in life. How theres something that slipped away form us earlier, those moments we didn’t capitalize on, or those feeling we never expressed. This opened up my eyes, because I feel that he is exactly right. But you don’t want to let those opportunities fly away, that we all need to live life for what we have now and what we can do, and sometimes people just don’t realize until after the fact. The books ending also made me feel a little sad. This might possibly be because I already knew that he died a few days after his book was published. But the feeling I had was also because throughout out the story, he had a wandering mind with endless possibilities, the only problem is was unable to act on a lot of them because of his body. I think that if he would have recovered he would have done somtihngs and changed some things that he had or hadn’t done when he had the opportunity, thus referring to the quote again. This book had many affects on me, these were the ones I thought most important to me.

No comments: